05 October 2010

Abstained Agogo - The Millenium Definition:


1- There were a few blogs and websites in the cyber-space that were kind enough to republish my article on definition of punk, an article I wrote like ages ago for Cintakan Aman Newsletter. As you might have known by now, this blog basically is just a continuation of that now defunct newsletter hence the name Cintakan Aman Blog but nobody cares about that anyway, so...

2- When I read that old article of mine from these silly blogs, I often thought of how innocent and naive was I back then. Maybe out of sheer youthful excitement or that rebellion of a young mind that I associate almost everything with the term Punk, to an extent, I was like, "Wow. did I wrote that?". Fuck. Well at least I thought it was kind of cool at that time doing that.

3- Punk, for me, was a counter-culture. If the culture at that time endorses corduroys, nice slacks, collage hair cuts and Pete Frampton, then punk would be like leather jackets, torn jeans, mohawks, spikes and Sex Pistols. Going against the popular culture. Although nowadays, it has become a popular culture by itself (thanks to the capitalists), the relevance of punk is still there nevertheless.

4- Other than and beyond that, is up to the individuals really. There were never any boundaries on how you should define it. You can define it, you can associate it with anything you like and you can un-associate it. The world would still spin you know.

5- For me, Punk is just a platform for you to learn, define and redefine life. You can achieve very much the same things with other platforms in the likes of religions, schools or books. Embrace it and open your mind.

6- As for me, as I grew older I tend to associate things as it is. Human nature. Equality because everyone should be equal, love because everyone deserves love, human rights because that is the nature of it and the way it should be. Punk or no punk.

7- Just my worthless two cents.

No comments: